Thursday, January 6, 2011

teenage boys and food

I know I'm still in the infant years of this teenage boyhood but I've learned a valuable lesson so far. FOOD IS NOT SAFE WHEN THEY ARE AROUND. I can make a huge meal and they will inhale the majority of the meal...and  get up from the table and go get a snack. I remember my brother A who is 6 years older then me also getting up from the table and making a sandwich after dinner so he won't get hungry from the kitchen to his bedroom. I just thought he was strange.....hmmm (love ya A). Now that I have 1 official teenager and another just about teenager I am amazed at the bottomless pit they call their stomach.
For instance just this morning MN came downstairs in his usual "sunny disposition"...(stop laughing, no teenager wakes up in a sunny disposition  but I can dream right). Okay, so really MN came downstairs and grunted. I think it was something to the fact of " I'm hungry..where is the food" but I'm not sure b/c really it sounded  "w$B*#...". So I cheerfully made him a bowl of cheerios. (I'm cheerful b/c that first cup of coffee has been circulating my body for a full 10 min). A FULL bowl of cereal with the milk filled up to the rim. He eats the WHOLE bowl....might have eaten the bowl as well if he could. Gets up from the table, puts his bowl in the sink (okay now I'm being delusional b/c that bowl for some reason has a magnetic force keeping it on the table and never is taken to the sink by anyone other then me or tatty), reaches to the top of the refrigerator and takes a pretzel. I stand there dumbfounded (no, not hard for me) and I say:

 "but you just finished eating 30 seconds ago." To which he responds " I'm still hungry"...(yes by this time he can talk a little bit better).
I say back "but the cereal has not reached your stomach yet..it is still being digested".
To which he just smiles and walks away....most likely thinking "duh....mom"

  I have actually stooped to the level of hiding those pretzels.... in the crock pot, the cabinet where the dish towels are hidden...but yet he still finds it.

I'm always shocked when I go to Wegmans (for you out there that have never experienced Wegmans...there will be a blog about that...and it will HAVE to have pictures to go along) and see how much I spend when everyone is home compared to how much I spend in the summer when the 2 older boys are at camp.

So are girls like this? Do they also have a bottomless stomach?

2 comments:

  1. Ha! This is great! We are experiencing this with LOTS of boys, not just teenage ones! I dunno about girlz though, my one and only seems to be pretty normal about food, nothing like the boys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. At our house of boys,the grill always seems to be on at 10PM......

    ReplyDelete